Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love, is home to some of the most dedicated and passionate sports fans in the world. What makes the city is the people. Let’s talk about our Favorite Philadelphia Sports People.
Like any list, if we were to say the Best Philly Sports athletes (or players) it would be subjective in the least. That’s why Section 419 want to discuss our Favorite Philadelphia Sports People and personalities. Let’s talk about one or two people per team and add someone from the media and why they are Philly People. and why we as philadelphia sports fans love them.
Section 419’s Favorite Philadelphia Sports People
- Charlie Manuel: As the former manager of the Philadelphia Phillies, and the manager of the 2008 World Series Champions, he is widely known for his incredible contributions to the world of baseball. Always around the team, Charlie Manuel is a constant character in Phillies storyline. (And who can forget the infamous photo of Charlie leaving his office after being fired with belongings in a Wawa bag. Philadelphia Sports legend.
- Scott Hartnell: Hartnell DOWN! Known for his physical play, scoring ability, and leadership on and off the ice. He played for several teams including the Nashville Predators, Philadelphia Flyers, and Columbus Blue Jackets. Now, as part of the Flyers Broadcast team Hartnell often pairs up with Jim Jackson on NBC Sports Philadelphia who coined the phrase “Hartnell Down!”
[The origins of the phrase can be traced back to a game between the Flyers and the New York Rangers on December 30, 2008. During the game, Hartnell was knocked down by Rangers defenseman Daniel Girardi, and as he got up, twhen Jackson exclaimed “Hartnell down! We may need to bring back the Hartnell Down Flyers Shirts.]
- Jason Kelce: This one was almost too easy. Section 419 loves Jason Kelce for everything he does as an Eagle. The on-field play. The sideline antics (or celebration dances.) His off-field demeanor. Really just everything. When they close the book on his career — he will be remembered as Mr. Eagles. Jason — Keep on keeping on, and do what you do — The Eagles Fans love you.
- Darryl Dawkins: He was known for his powerful backboard breaking dunks, and he was one of the first players to bring a unique style and flair to the game. Dawkins was also known for his colorful personality and his playful attitude, which earned him the nickname “Chocolate Thunder.” And never, ever forget Dawkins was not of this earth, he was from Planet Lovetron – a place of Peace, Love and Basketball. Sixers legend.
- Brandon Marsh / Garrett Stubbs: These two are in a tie for some of the most colorful current day Phillies. Marshy with his long slicked back hair he wets down in between every inning and Stubbs with his youthful, enegery that makes him almost seem just happy to be there. As the strarting CF and a backup catcher, these tow played a big role in the success of the 2022 team and look to play a big role in the 2023 Phillies Season. [It’s worth noting we love Rob Thompson. Topper is our guy and we stand with Philly Rob.]
- John Kruk: As a member of the Phillies broadcast team, Kruk is priceless. Yes we love TMac, but Kruk makes the broadcasts. His wit, knowledge of the game, balanced with his sometimes cantankerous personality makes him perfect for any three-hour long baseball game. (Also, let’s never forget — he was one hell of a player too.)
As far as Favorite Philadelphia Sports People we think this is a solid list. Love them or hate them — they are ours. The City of Brotherly Love is not a place that lacks personality, and the seven mentioned have big personalities. We love them for who they are and their contributions to Philadelphia Sports.