Last night, The Eagles got screwed. There is no way that call of defensive holding should have determined the outcome to what was a very good Super Bowl. Here are some other famous screwjobs in sports.
Rather than re-hash how we feel, and how The City of Brotherly Love feels — we bring you five famous screwjobs in sports where the fix was “in.” [To get a good recap of last night’s game check out our friends at Crossing Broad.
Screwjobs, or instances where a competitor is unfairly disadvantaged, have been a part of sports for as long as the games have been played. While some may argue that these moments are just part of the excitement of competition, others believe that they represent a serious breach of fair play. Here are five of the most famous screwjobs in sports history:
- Montreal Screwjob (1997) – In the world of professional wrestling, the Montreal Screwjob is one of the most notorious moments in the sport’s history. It took place during a match between Bret “The Hitman” Hart and Shawn Michaels at the 1997 Survivor Series and involved the referee counting a pinfall for Michaels even though Hart’s shoulder was not down. The event was a huge shock to fans and is still a point of controversy and debate to this day.
- 2002 Winter Olympics Figure Skating Scandal – The pairs figure skating competition at the 2002 Winter Olympics was marred by a controversial judging decision that saw the Russian duo of Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze win the gold medal over the Canadian pair of Jamie Salé and David Pelletier. The decision was widely criticized, and it was later revealed that the French judge had been influenced to vote for the Russians.
- Hand of God (1986) – The 1986 World Cup quarter-final between Argentina and England was a classic match, with one of the most famous goals in soccer history. Maradona’s “Hand of God” goal, where he used his hand to punch the ball into the net, was not called by the referee and helped secure a victory for Argentina.
- The Tim Donaghy Scandal (2007) – Tim Donaghy was a former NBA referee who was involved in a betting scandal that cast a shadow over the league. Donaghy was found to have bet on games that he was officiating and was sentenced to prison for his actions. The scandal raised questions about the integrity of the league and the impartiality of its officials. (This cost Steve Nash and the Suns at least one ring.)
- Robbery in the Rio (2016) – The boxing match between Irish fighter Michael Conlan and Russian fighter Vladimir Nikitin at the 2016 Rio Olympics was one of the most controversial moments in Olympic boxing history. Conlan, who was a strong favorite to win, was denied the victory after a highly disputed decision that saw the judges award the fight to Nikitin. Conlan was furious with the decision and made his feelings known in a post-fight interview that went viral.
These are just a few of the famous screwjobs in sports history, but they demonstrate the impact that unfair play can have on athletes, fans, and the integrity of the games themselves. While some may argue that these moments add to the excitement and drama of competition, others believe that they represent a serious breach of fair play and the spirit of the games.
Last night stings. As one person on Twitter said, “Jalen Hurts was robbed of his legacy game.” Fuck — that makes it sting more. This Philadelphia Eagles team was different. Better than others, But not able to win when playing again 16 on the field. Super Bowl LVII will always be remembered as The One Where We Was Screwed – and one of the more Famous Screwjobs in Sports.